January 12, 2008

Book Review: Writer Mama: How to Raise a Writing Career Alongside Your Kids

I've finished reading my first book of 2008 and it was probably the best thing I could have chosen to start off the year. In Writer Mama, author Christina Katz provides a realistic outline for working writing time into even the most hectic of schedules and provides aspiring writers with a plan for developing their skills and marketing their work.

The book itself is constructed of short, information packed chapters and interesting side bars that are conducive to reading in the short periods of time that are like gold to a busy mother.

Katz's tone makes her reader feel as though the two of you are sitting down for coffee together and are chatting about the writing life. Her enthusiasm for writing drips off the page and inspires you to run out and get started as soon as you can.

Since reading the book, I've re-enrolled in a writing course I began years ago and am eagerly awaiting my materials so I can see where my renewed enthusiasm and resolve finally take me. I can't wait until I have my first "writing success story" to share on the Writer Mama Blog!